Things to consider when moving house (locally and interstate)
At Ready Movers, we understand that moving house is about more than just changing your address it represents a major change in your life. And, as is the case with all major life changes, there is A LOT to think about.
To make it easier for you, Ready Movers has put together a handy checklist to help you keep track of some of the more important considerations.
Ready Movers Moving Guide
This is an abridged version! For the full document including handy Disconnections, Reconnections and Service Changes, and Change of Address checklists, (and much more) email Ready Movers and put “Moving Guide” in the subject line.
Much of the success of your move will depend on the groundwork you do early on. So,start as soon as possible!
FOUR WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- Set a firm date for moving.
- Contact two or three removalists for quotes. (See the section on Arranging your removalist for more advice)
- If you’re doing it yourself, arrange to hire a truck or to borrow a friend’s vehicle. (Don’t forget to let your friends know that you will need some help, and book them early.)
- Purchase packing supplies.(See our to Packing Tips)
- Make an inventory of your possessions including items to: sell, give away, throw out, donate to charity, or put in storage. (Contact Ready Movers to discuss short, medium and long-term storage options.) Be sure to sell, give away, dump, anything that you no longer need or want. DON’T pay for space and labour moving items that you don’t need. Get rid of as much as you can and SAVE money! If there’s anything you don’t want in your new home, but can’t bear to part with talk to us about our affordable short-, medium-, and long-term storage options.
- Start packing the things that are not used on a daily basis.
- Start to use all the food in your freezer and pantry.
- Keep a list of all incoming mail, and notify these businesses/suppliers of your new address.
- Create up a Moving File that contains all your important documents, quotes, insurance papers, contracts, inventory list and handy phone numbers. (Place this document in the folder, and place the folder in a readily available place).
- Notify your children’s school so that the appropriate paperwork can be arranged, and if you haven’t already contacted their new school, this will need to be done immediately.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- • Contact the utilities that you’ll require at your new place, and arrange to have them connected the day you move into your new place. Sometimes these can take more than 7 days. Arrange for them to disconnect at the old place the day of your move, and post final bills to your new address.
ONE WEEK BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Defrost and clean your fridge and freezer.
- Clean out garage and under sinks, and dispose of any flammables that cannot be packed or transported.
- Cancel all local deliveries, milk, papers, and services (e.g. lawn mowing).
- Return any outstanding videos or library books.
- Leave a note with forwarding address, warranties for appliances, rubbish days, and any other relevant information that may assist the person moving into your home.
- Print up some change of address sticky labels for any mail that may come after you leave. This makes it very easy for the new people to forward mail on to your new address.
- Start preparing a Moving Day Essentials Box. When you arrive at your new house, there will (naturally) be some things you’ll need immediately. Pack these items separately and take them with you in the car. Request our complete moving guide for a full checklist of items.
- Check that you have all your essentials packed to go with you in your vehicle, and the folder that contains all your important documents.
- Check that nothing has been left behind, all lights have been turned off and that the premises are secure.
- If you are moving a pet, leave their food bowls and toys until last. Pack these in the car with you. When you get to the new place, make sure they have food, water and any toys. Allow them time to get used to their new place. Taking the time to walk your pet around the new yard. This will help settle them into their new home.
Got difficult items to move?
Whether you want to move TV, bed or fridge around from Moorooka to Woolloongabba. Or your whole household or office from Surfers Paradise to Chermside. We’re equipped and skilled to move anything anywhere across Brisbane (or further afield). Talk to us about your removal requirements.
Got a piano or pool table? We’ll move that too! We’ve got the skill and experience (not to mention the manpower and trucks) to move anything you want moved safely and economically.